I almost took this bookshelf out to the dumpster. I let it sit at my door for about a week, while I waited for the laziness to wear off so that I could carry it down three flights of stairs out to the trash. Luckily, I’m so lazy, I eventually decided it would just be easier to paint it and live with it than take it to the trash.
First thing that needed to go were those weird screw things you see sticking out of the top of the bookshelf. There used to be doors on this thing, which is why there’s so many holes & weirdness. So, I pulled those out, filled in the holes, and started sanding that bad boy down.
I then attached some 5″ casters to the bottom to give it some mobility and about an additional inch of height.
Once I got the wheels on, I started priming all of the pieces (the wheels did make it hard to keep it steady while painting BUT it also kept it from touching the floor while I painted it).
For the paint color, I used some leftover paint that I had sitting around. It’s a very, very light grey color from the Martha Stewart Living collection (official color: Dolphin MSL263). You can see below it’s lighter than my grey walls, but darker than my white trim.
I’ve been going back & forth, moving stuff around to figure out exactly what I want the bookshelf to house, but for now it’s looking like this scene below. I’m sure I’ll keep moving stuff around for the life of the bookshelf, I’d be surprised if I didn’t.
I’m really happy with how it turned out and so glad I decided not to toss it out like I originally planned. Thank goodness for laziness.